Sunday, June 29, 2008

Not-so-lazy days of summer



I'm facing another string of busy weekends. For some reason this always fills me with dread. I think I know why. I'm an INFJ. Basically that means I like my downtime. I think.

On the other hand, knowing I'll soon be lacking in free time increases productivity. This weekend I found fabric for and re-covered a footstool (more on that later), made some progress on my recipe-organizing project (this is going to take a lot longer than I expected), organized and uploaded all my photos from the lavender festival, started painting my niece's t-shirt (back done, front is next), almost bought an awesome mid-century sunburst clock on eBay (a last minute bidding frenzy made the price almost double, so I was out), exercised, read, crocheted...phew. A lot. And yet, I did not get around to doing laundry or giving myself a pedicure. Hopefully I'll squeeze that in before I leave for my dad's place later this week.

Speaking of, I got his prints into frames. These are his Father's Day present - belated. It's the kind of gift I really wanted to give him in person. I did end up buying the raccoon and also got the friendly buck, originally for me, but they make such a lovely pair. I hope he likes them.



He has an excellent sense of humor so I suspect he will. Oh yes, they're from Berkley Illustration. Gotta get the ol' plug in there. I'm still waiting on them to do a polar bear. D'you hear that Ryan? A polar bear. Perhaps in a tuxedo. A la James Bond. With the bow tie untied and hanging round his neck. Top button unbuttoned. You do that, I'm in for an 8 x 10.

So I ate off of this zucchini pie all week.



This is the problem with cooking something like this and living alone. Thank god I don't have issues with leftovers (I know people who do). And I'm against the whole freezing thing. My mom's always like, "Freeze it!" Yeah, I don't like eating thawed food. Nine times out of ten, the texture suffers. Thankfully this was so yummy that it was only the last couple of slices that got to be sorta difficult to get down. Like, "This again?" But up until then, it was awesome. And easy too.

Zucchini Pie from September 2004 issue of Real Simple.

3 cups grated zucchini
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup grated provolone cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil (I think I put in a little more - it can take it)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all the ingredients, reserving 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan. Spoon zucchini mixture into a 10 inch round glass pie plate or metal pie pan that has been coated with vegetable cooking spray. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

Yum! I think this'd be good to take along to that Fourth of July party, no? That and a box of sparklers. Don't forget those.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Your prints turned out so lovely! Oh my goodness they look fantastic together! So manly yet packed with personality. Love them.